8.27.2008

001 - New Methods in Supporter Interconnection - Podcasting

So, you want to try Podcasting.

“How do I start? Why would I do it? Would anyone even listen?”

Or maybe your questions are more basic; “What is it? Does it have something to do with fishing? Or “casting” away my iPod? Sure, I may be addicted to it, but throwing it away hardly seems the answer. (casting it, get it, GET IT?)"

An Introduction

Podcasting (also called “narrowcasting” for those less excited about the iPod relationship) is a fun way to communicate any message you want to anyone in the world with a computer and the Internet. It is a simple radio show that you design, record and produce on your own. All you need is a message, a computer, a microphone, recording software, and a place on the Internet to store your show file.

And before you start, realize it could be a disaster, if done with the wrong spontaneity, candid-ness, or just the right mixture of uncaring and laziness. Podcasting is a delicate animal that, if let out of the cage, could wreak havoc on the entire world around you. OK, maybe it isn't that extreme. But, necessarily, as Christian workers we have a certain standard to bear - one that calls for creativity, hard work, and honesty. If any medium can get you in trouble, it's podcasting. On the other hand, if any medium can deliver the honest message you intended, with few interpretive issues (and of course, plenty of fun had by the producer) it is podcasting.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Matt. I've been addicted to listening to podcasts for about 4 years (has it really been that long?) and I finally took the leap and started my own podcast with my wife last November. I'm am far from a pro, in fact still in the beginner phase, but I do still have a few pointers I'd love to give you. As you read, please forgive my rambling nature and natural tendency towards off-hand comments that may make little sense. 

Of course, feel free to download and listen to some of our shows, available on iTunes here, or on our podcast website here. But don't think they are the standard. In my opinion, This American Life is the standard. In my opinion, it is the greatest radio show of all time, and (shameless plug coming) it can be downloaded as a podcast here. I am not responsible for the content. But seriously, there are thousands of podcasts available out there on the Web, just go for a look.

Ready? Let's go. More to come soon.

Later guys,

Matt

No comments: