8.21.2008

All Things Preliminary

Example questions to ask in getting started:

  1. What mode of communication will speak most powerfully to my intended audience?
  2. Do I need to change my style or vocabulary to connect well with my audience?
  3. Should I add or eliminate details?
  4. Would adding a picture enhance or distract? Do I have an appropriate picture or do I need to take one?
  5. What is my motive? Am I only doing this for myself so that I feel good? (If yes, perhaps you should turn to your journal. It is important to process your feelings and experiences. Don’t stop writing; choose the more appropriate context.)
  6. Do I have another person with the knowledge and openness to help me evaluate effectiveness?
  7. Do I need to educate myself in a specific area?

Practical steps to publishing written communication:

  1. Define a purpose or verbalize a goal.
  2. Create a draft.
  3. Let it sit for at least 24 hours.
  4. You edit it for content and grammar, asking questions about the piece related to your purpose statement.
  5. Have at least one other person edit for content and grammar and ask them if it fulfills your purpose.
  6. Walk away from the piece again.
  7. Re-read for power and ease of communication.
  8. Publish if satisfied.

No comments: